The Associate of Science Degree in Exercise Science prepares students for jobs in the fitness industry, including health clubs, corporate fitness centers and personal training. At the same time, the program prepares the student for transfer into a four-year degree program as a junior in majors such as Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Athletic Training, Sports Management, Exercise Science, Sports Marketing, Pre-Medical and related programs.
The fitness industry has a wide variety of jobs available and is projected to be a growth industry throughout the next decade.
Graduates are able to:
- gain practical, hands-on experience from both outside companies and within the College’s Fitness Center
- possess a broad knowledge of exercise, including its benefits and risks, influence on overall health and its limitations with special populations
- administer and interpret fitness/exercise tests and prescribe exercise programs for a variety of populations
- demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of the muscles, bones, connective tissue, energy systems and how to train them; common injuries and basic first aid; and the effects of exercise in relation to many diseases, including heart disease, cancer, diabetes and obesity
- have the knowledge and practical experience needed to sit for a nationally recognized personal fitness trainer certification